How can you determine if your roof needs repairs before winter? Learn the signs of roof damage.
Do you know the signs of roof damage? Most professional roofers recommend you check your roof before winter starts to determine if any areas need repair. It is much better to repair in the warmer months, and you will be protected from further damage if a surprise snowstorm descends on Atlanta! Hey, it may be unlikely, but it’s always a good idea to be prepared.
Even if there isn’t a freak snowstorm, a problematic roof during the colder months can make your energy bill skyrocket and can lead to an uncomfortable home environment. Take the proactive approach to stay cozy this winter.
Top Signs Your Roof Needs Pre-Winter Repairs
Here are a few things you should be aware of that indicate your roof might need a little professional TLC:
- Leaks: Let’s start with the obvious one. If you have any leaks in your house, it is time to get a professional out there for repairs. Head up to the attic and check for wet spots or dripping water. If you see any, have a professional fix the leaks immediately.
- Curling shingles: Shingles that are curling or brittle are a sign your roof needs repair. Shingles in this condition are easily damaged during harsh weather and should be replaced before winter.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing keeps water from penetrating your home around places like the skylight and chimney. If it is showing signs of deterioration or rust, repairs are in order.
- A sagging roof: If you notice that the deck or rafters in the attic are sagging, they are most likely wet as a result of a leaking roof. This moisture could lead to structural issues, so have it looked at right away.
- Light in the attic: Inspect your attic on a sunny day to see if rays of light are getting in anywhere. If the sun can get in, then so can the rain, so it is time to call in the pros to patch things up.
- Increasing energy bills: If it costs more to heat your house in the winter and cool it in the summer, then it might be a sign that you have issues with your roof, attic vent or insulation. All three areas can be evaluated and repaired by an experienced roofer.
Besides Roof Repairs, Are There Other Things I Can Do to Protect My Roof During Winter?
Having the gutters professionally cleaned is one of the best ways to prepare your home for winter. Having your gutters cleaned can prevent buildup of snow and ice, which can then lead to ice dams, which eventually leads to roof deterioration and damage.
Who and When Should I Call?
If you suspect roof repairs are needed, call a professional right away. Waiting to make that call increases the risk of the damage spreading and will cost you more in the long run. November is a great time of year to have a professional roofer inspect the roof and make repairs before winter.
Our team of experts at Cornerstone Roofing is available to provide free roof inspections in November. We know the signs of roof damage and will be able to give you a professional assessment, so you can know exactly what you need to do to get your roof winter-ready. Call 770-884-9800 to discuss your roof repair needs today.