Reading about the top 5 most common roof problems might just help you to avoid them in the future.
As you look through the top 5 most common roof problems, you may encounter issues you’ve run into in the past. You might also read about a problem you currently have that might’ve escaped your notice! Your roof isn’t exactly something you see in its entirety on a regular basis, after all. As such, if something’s wrong with it, you might not realize it until symptoms begin to show.
This is where the value of roofing inspections comes in, but before we get into that, here is the rundown of some common roof issues plaguing homeowners.
The First 3 Roof Problems Can Happen Quickly
Sometimes issues arise with little warning, and they need attention as soon as possible. If left alone for too long, small problems get the chance to develop into much more serious — and expensive — issues. The following problems might seem simple at first glance, but they can become much worse if you make the mistake of ignoring them:
- Roof leaks. Leaks can arise due to a number of different factors, from stormy weather to fallen debris. Eventually, they can lead to rotted wood in your home’s structure, as well as mold growth from the moisture that seeps in over time.
- Ponding water. Another very common issue, standing water on your roof can cause a great deal of damage if left alone. This can result from a faulty gutter draining system, or built up debris on the rooftop.
- Pests. Even if you like critters like squirrels, birds and other animals in your area, you don’t want them getting too comfortable around your rooftop. Nests can cause more damage than you might realize.
The Final 2 Common Roof Issues Can Take Time to Surface
The last two problems that commonly occur with rooftops can take a long time to become noticeable. Unfortunately, they are also the type of problem that can become very serious, leading to the need for major repairs.
In some cases, even repairs aren’t enough — total roof replacements might be necessary, which is a much heavier hit to the finances. The best way to avoid these issues is to get your roof inspected as soon as you suspect something might be wrong. Consider these common roof issues:
- Inadequate ventilation. A roof’s lifespan is partly dependent on how well ventilated the attic is. If the roof isn’t ventilated properly, the heat and moisture that tend to build up in attics won’t have anywhere to go, meaning it all stays trapped inside where it can cause damage to everything from walls and insulation to the shingles outside. Mold and mildew growth can also occur if conditions remain too moist for too long.
- Poor maintenance practices. Every aspect of roof maintenance, from removing debris and standing water to clearing clogged gutters, is crucial to the wellbeing of any rooftop. Small issues tend to balloon into bigger ones over time, but not if the roof gets proper maintenance. Routine inspections and regular maintenance can not only prevent many common roof problems, but they also save you money in the long run by improving your roof’s durability.
Avoid Common Rooftop Ailments with Cornerstone
Whether you need urgent repairs, an inspection after storm damage or an estimate for your next project, the experts at Cornerstone Roofing are here to help. We have years of experience with every type of roofing job imaginable, and we always make our customers’ needs our highest priority.
To learn how we can help, or for more information about the top 5 most common roof problems, connect with us online or call us at 770-844-9800 today.