Prevention and proper repair or replacement of any problems is the best way to keep your home secure and safe from damage from wind, rain and snow. There are a number of things that you can do that will help to prevent roof damage. If you do notice any problems you can take immediate steps to repair or replace any concerns before they become a major problem.
Top 10 Roof Damage Prevention Tips:
- Keep your roof free from the collection of leaves, twigs, moss, and other items that could block proper drainage.
- Check to be sure that air can flow freely through all the soffit and roof vents to prevent heat and moisture buildup.
- Replace missing shingles. Replace shingles that are curled, broken or cracked.
- Trim overhanging branches from the edge or top of your roof so no branches hang on or scrape against the top of edge of the roof.
- Check to be sure your off of your roof. Look for rust, holes, pulling away from the house, and for areas of water backup or spill over.
- Examine the roof flashing around roof vents, skylights, the chimney, valleys and connecting roof areas. Flashing should fit tight to the house.
- Look at the edge of your roof for loose or missing shingles. Damage to the edge can allow water back up as well as create a weak spot for high winds to cause further damage.
- Check inside your attic or crawl space for signs of leaks or if points of light can be seen through the roof decking.
- Examine all the roof vents and flues to be sure they are clear and are working properly.
- Consider hiring a professional Georgia roofing contractor for expert inspections. Your Cumming area roofer, Cornerstone, provides free roofing inspections and would be happy to schedule a time to discuss any concerns you may have.
Protect your investment in your home. Call Cornerstone Roofing today for a free roofing inspection.